Very pleased with this result. It was quite a challenge to trim the topside, especially when I trimmed a little bit too much of one of the pieces.
But I think it looks good and I have learned so much from making this.
Next thing I want to do is show the window to Monique who taught me this art and it would be great if she would give me some tips before I start soldering.
I'm so glad we didn't let the carpenter make that hole in the door yet !
Because of the 3 pieces of glass on the left being to small/short someting had to be done and I chose to trim the bottom pieces so the whole design is now about 4 mm shorter in height. The other option: cutting a whole new piece was not a good option because it would cost another piece of glass which I will need for the other windows in the door to the livingroom.
The colours in this photo I have tried to make them look as much as they will look when there is a light behind it.
It would be great to have a workbench with backlights.
The lead arrived yesterday and I couldn't wait to start working on the window again.
The part above the flower proved to be somewhat difficult because of the many curves and joints but in the end it worked out well.
Another problem is that some of the pieces that are left do not fit now. Maybe because gradually the glass and lead together shift the design a bit and because I have cut all the pieces beforehand they match the design but don't fit quit as good as I would like them to.
I have been trying to get the three yellow pieces on the left to fit, and they do, but.... the height is not right.
Now I can do 2 things: 1 is cut a new piece - one of the three - and make it so that they fit the design from top to bottom.
Or: let it be and make the top and bottom border straight when all the pieces are set in the lead.
After drawing the design in full size, you have to copy it on to another paper which you will use to cut all the different pieces out for cutting the glass.
For this copying I use carbon paper. Used this so many times before when I was a secretary in the pre-computer-age many years ago !!
I also used old wallpaper for the copy, which is handy because it can stand moist and this is good because you might use the cutting to grind the glass and the grinding machine uses water to cool the grinder.
After making the small window I was really in the mood for more and we decided to redesign our hallway because it has a sort of dark corner.
Three doors come out in that corner with no windows in them so an idea was born to make a window in the bathroom door because in the bathroom there is a rather big widow so much daylight will come throught the window in the door.
Before starting on this window we looked through a couple of hundred designs on the web and found a few we liked.
I tried to merge some of the features of these designs into a design of my own and above you can see the result.